Re: Business Writing Course - Any advice?

Subject: Re: Business Writing Course - Any advice?
From: "Tom Murrell" <tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:32:46 -0500

Mike McGuire is looking for advice about a Business Writing course for his
non-native English speakers.

Mike, I done have any handy references, but I would suggest that you find
what you can on teaching English as a Second Language. My own experience
with people for whom English was not their native language is that they are
both smarter than I am (they can speak more languages than I can) and know
the rules of grammar at least as well as I do. Nonetheless, they are
extremely embarrassed when someone criticizes their language skills.
Invariably the implication of such criticism is that the non-native speaker
is stupid. I have even heard native speakers yell at non-native English
speakers, I guess thinking that the non-native speaker must have a hearing
problem. (sigh)

Anyway, I would expect that your Indian programmers will be very interested
in your course. They may well be able to suggest subject materials for your
use.

Tom Murrell