Problems Documenting An Application

Subject: Problems Documenting An Application
From: pbw3172 -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 8:13:42

I have been tasked with documenting an entire application by myself. The
client wants each screen as a separate work instruction with a data entry
table for the user to refer to for field entries.

My problem is that this application has SEVERAL screens and I don't know
where to begin. I have started with the main menu, printing each screen
out that falls under that one menu item. Then maybe I can get some type of
order from there. I have noticed that several screens duplicate so this is
causing problems as well. I figured that if I divided the manual up by
task (screens) based on the main menu options, it would be easier to
document.

The client says that they have no program specs to help me in determining
how many screens I have to work with here. Also, there is no existing help
to guide me on what I'm looking at here so I have to guess what field
descriptions mean.

Any suggestions would be DEEPLY appreciated in sorting out this mess.

Paula
pbw3172 -at- yahoo -dot- com