e-training?

Subject: e-training?
From: "krupp, marguerite" <krupp_marguerite -at- emc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:15:01 -0500

I can speak about my own experiences with "e-training," most recently with a
product from Centra Software that allows 1-on-1 contact with the instructor
in a virtual classroom setting. I have no financial or other interest in the
company, and I'm sure there are other products out there that have similar
capabilities.

The interactive experience
----------------------------
The students log on from their own workstations at an appointed time, and
the instructor checks in with each to verify the connection. Students have a
headset with an attached microphone, and everyone can hear everyone else.
The instructor controls the flow of the conversation, recognizing students
and asking/answering questions when students indicate they have something to
say (kind of like passing a token in a token-ring network). There's an
interactive "whiteboard," too, on which the instructor can draw diagrams.

The course content
-----------------------
As always, the quality of the course experience depends on the course
content. The best stuff is developed with this kind of delivery in mind and
with a well-defined audience. GIGO, as we used to say. The course I took was
an overview of a particular networking technology, and it was quite well
done. But I left the company before taking any more of these courses.

My experience
I thought it was pretty neat! And they've improved the software since then.
So it really CAN be a meaningful learning experience, but it all depends on
good courseware, a good instructor, and fast, reliable equipment (and a
supportive management).

Marguerite