Re: Knocking 'em dead at a new job

Subject: Re: Knocking 'em dead at a new job
From: iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk (Iain Harrison)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:25 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> I'm a very hard worker, and always give 1000% and work well with my
> colleagues. However, I don't know how to handle liars. Can anyone
> offer any suggestions?

In the Bad Old Days, you needed to get it in writing, which wasn't always
easy. Nowadays, get it in email, and you're home and dry.

A short email saying something to the tune of:

Just to confirm that you want to change all references to widgets in the
documentation to read 'Big Furry Widgets'

..or better still have regular meetings (with yourself, if necessary!)
and take proper minutes.

Seriously, having a written record of what you were planning at the time
is no bad thing anyway. For the last year or so, my manager and I had
weekly meetings, quite often by email. The "minutes" emails were part of
the quality process record, and are archived as part of the project
library.

Not that I work there any more, but...

..anyone want a technical writer? I can telecommute to the location of
your choice, worldwide!

--

Iain

iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk