RE: Help authoring tools for Palm Pilot

Subject: RE: Help authoring tools for Palm Pilot
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- intl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:20:27 -0700

> There is some information available through the Microsoft Developer
> Network
> about creating help files for Win CE devices.

As someone else noted, the PalmOS uses a different mechanism for help than
CE.

> I believe HTML Help (which is available from MSDN for free) is supported
> by
> these diminutive devices.

Windows CE uses a variant of HTML for help, with the exception that is only
supports a rudimentary bitmap and not GIFs, JPGs, or PNGs. As I recall, the
format doesn't support interfile links. CE doesn't support the MS HTML Help
standard.

My preference would be to use vanilla HTML and browse it using Pocket IE,
which does a reasonably good job of displaying simple web pages (but not
ActiveX or JavaScript support). I heard a rumor that Macromedia had
developed or was developing a shockwave plugin for CE.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
INT'L.com Design & Development
billdb -at- intl -dot- com
"If I go to sleep, the clowns will eat me."