RE: Need help

Subject: RE: Need help
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Perry Moore" <perrya -at- jps -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:58:04 -0500

To all:

I hope that the URL that I have included here will help
answer the question "What is a Systems Software Document?"

When you go to that URL you can find a great number of
topics that answer the documentation challenge that we all face.

It defines in great detail, what, why, and how to present
"Systems Software Documentation".

You MUST also consider 'change control' and 'configuration management'
in any "Systems Software Document". These topics should be discussed
in a different 'thread' if it is necessary.

Over the past 15 years, I have found the DOD-STD-2167A, and its
successor, MIL-STD-498, as being great starting places in addressing
the documentation of the software development lifecycle.

I went to this URL:

http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/1995/feb/MILSTD.asp

It addresses the software systems documentation
and describes several different types of documents

I will not address those as they are better presented elsewhere.

QUOTE

MIL-STD-498 is the DoD's new software development standard.
It was developed with four primary objectives:

Merge DOD-STD-2167A, used for weapon systems, with DOD-STD-7935A,
used for automated information systems, creating a single
software development standard for DoD.

Resolve issues raised in the use of these standards.

Ensure compatibility with current DoD directives,
instructions, and other standards.

Provide a basis for United States implementation of
ISO/IEC 12207, Software Life Cycle Processes.

UNQUOTE

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion
of this email are mine and mine alone. They are not the
thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions of any past, present, or
future employers, or any group that I might belong to."