RE: RE. Have you seen this GUI element [...]?

Subject: RE: RE. Have you seen this GUI element [...]?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Hart, Geoff'" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:13:29 -0500

The ellipsis alone on a command button is becoming more common among
windows-based applications. Most programmers I've worked with in the past
two years are using it to call dialogs or popup windows that require
additional action. I've seen it in at least four custom, biz-to-biz
financial applications, both windows- and browser-based. Such a button
should be placed where the context of the application window lets you know
what you're in for-such as searching for a file or setting a directory path.
If the other GUI elements (field labels, title bars, icons or graphics)
don't give it the appropriate context, it will be extremely confusing,
particularly for novices. However, I don't recall seeing it in recent
releases of off-the-shelf software.

A word followed by an ellipsis on a command buttons is pretty common--Take a
look at any dialog that allows you to Browse .... ;)

Connie G