Re: Linking details to manual

Subject: Re: Linking details to manual
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Halter, Meg" <HalterMC -at- navair -dot- navy -dot- mil>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:54:41 -0800 (PST)

You always have an email program running, right?

1) Enter an appropriate short description in the
subject of an email. Include an appropriate text
string at the beginning of the subject, so you can use
a filter. I use "<Project> BUG" (where <Project>
identifies what project this pertains.

2) Cut and paste the offending code, graphic, content,
whatever, into the email.

3) Add your comments about it, along with anything
else material to the issue. You can also embed files,
programs, zips, etc.

4) Email it to yourself.

5) Have a filter rule automatically send it to a
folder by the topic prefix described in 1)

6) When it comes up later, you already have it
prepared to shoot back to whoever brings up the
subject.

> I'm writing a user guide for a application and much
> of the information I'm
> putting in comes from reading code, executing the
> application in debug, and
> such like to determine exactly how things work. This
> process uncovers lots
> of gruesome details that really don't belong in the
> user guide, but I don't
> want to lose those gruesome details because I know
> questions about them will
> come up. (This application is legacy code that is
> mostly undocumented.)
>
> How do you do you folks handle linking gruesome
> details to the material that
> makes it into the guide? Right now I'm using Word's

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Kaiser Wilhelm
http://im.yahoo.com