Re: Release Notes

Subject: Re: Release Notes
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Karen Neeb <KNeeb -at- SagebrushCorp -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 06:37:55 -0800 (PST)

I don't mean to start the day with a message obviously
from someone (me) who cannot play well with others and
I hate taking it out on others when something at work
pisses me off (though it was in this same vein),
but...

We see, on a steady basis, requests for samples of
documents that we should have become aquainted with in
TechWriting 102.

That's fine, not everyone is fluent in all types of
documentation. However, what does bother me is the
apparent lack of research before asking hundreds of
people to supply this information.

I went to a search engine (Netscape uses Google) and
entered the phrase "template Release Note".

In several seconds, I got back over 21,000 hits.
Granted, I wouldn't want to look at hit number 3,000
or even past hit number 30. But, right on the first
two pages were dozens of actual release notes from
Mozilla, 3COM, Netscape, ...

People...one of the secrets to looking like you know
what you are doing in this business is to not know it,
but know where to find it.

--- Karen Neeb <KNeeb -at- SagebrushCorp -dot- com> wrote:
> Hi all (again)!
>
> Does anyone have a template or preferred format for
> software release notes
> that they would care to share with me? Mostly, I'm
> interested to see if
> there are any preferred conventions for release
> notes that I'm not aware of.
>

> Also, do you generally include the same information
> (important or
> late-breaking information, documentation errors or
> omissions, bugs, etc) in
> the release notes as you include in the readme file?
> (The readme text file
> can be accessed immediately after a successful
> installation, the release
> notes are printed and sent with the CD).

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Kaiser Wilhelm
http://im.yahoo.com