Policy=Function=Operation=Goal=Task=Process

Subject: Policy=Function=Operation=Goal=Task=Process
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:45:04 PST

Tony Markatos says:

I recently submitted a question to this listserv asking the difference between a Policy and a Procedure. I recieved some excellent answers. I also recieved a couple of e-mails (from people who know that I have been around awhile) asking me how I could be confused about something so 'basic'. The below explains my confusion.

WHY I AM CONFUSED

I have at least some experience (and am at least somewhat read) in each of the following:

* Requirements Analysis
* Systems Analysis
* Technical Writing
* Industrial Engineering
* Business Process Reengineering

My current understanding is as follows:

Can describe the 'What': Policy, Function, Procedure, Operation, Goal, Task, and Process.

Can describe the 'How': Procedure, Operation, Task, and Step.

Note: I forget where 'Activity' fits into anybody's scheme.

Tony Markatos (I think)
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)