Re: Identifying the Figure Source in documentation

Subject: Re: Identifying the Figure Source in documentation
From: Dan Azlin <dazlin -at- mediaone -dot- net>
To: Rhonda -dot- Perez -at- nokia -dot- com, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:21:46 -0500

You don't say what tool you are using, but here's what my shop does...
We use FrameMaker and import all figures by reference. To identify the
graphic in question simply requires that the propert dialog is opened and
the graphic name is displayed with the other information.
If you are using Word, try using the comment feature to annotate the
graphic name. This would make it available to maintainers but invisible to
users.

HTH
Dan

At 03:23 PM 3/2/00 -0600, Rhonda -dot- Perez -at- nokia -dot- com wrote:
>The figures in our customer documentation include the source number for
>internal reference. This is simply the .CGM number (approx. 8pt) in a box at
>the bottom right-hand corner of each figure. Our doc team has opposing views
>on continuing with this practice.
>
>Con: This information is not needed by the reader. This information will
>confuse the reader.
>Pro: This information is an Identification resource for internal customers
>and global documentation team members.
>
>I would like to know how other customer documentation teams handle this
>issue.

Dan Azlin ** WORD ENGINEERS, Technical Writing & Publishing **
dazlin -at- mediaone -dot- net 7 Myrtle Street
ph/fax 978-921-8908 Beverly, MA 01915-3315