Capturing clean screen images for book?

Subject: Capturing clean screen images for book?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 08:56:03 -0500

Dina Marroquin wondered <<When you print a report, it looks great. However,
when you take a screen shot of a report, the image looks jagged. (I use
SnagIt.) ... Does anyone know of a way for me to capture these files
electronically in a clean, non-jagged, wonderful-looking format?>>

Yup. Obtain a Postscript printer driver (if you don't already have one
installed, you should be able to find one at the Adobe web site,
www.adobe.com), and set it as your default. Most have a little button
somewhere in the print dialog box that say "print to disk" or "save as
file". Print the report to disk, then open it in any graphics program that
can work with Postscript files (so you can crop, resize, convert to other
formats, etc.). I've done this in the past to create thumbnails of book
covers, and it's marvelous. The nicest thing about postscript is that the
graphic you create can be resized (within reason) without losing resolution.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Hofstadter's Law: The time and effort required to complete a project are
always more than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's
Law.