Quality Metrics for Documentation

Subject: Quality Metrics for Documentation
From: Susan Peradze <susan -dot- peradze -at- peri -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 10:44:51 -0500

We need help!

Our technical writing group is interested in procuring a tool
(preferably software) that can be used to measure the quality of
technical documentation. We need to produce "objective" data to
demonstrate to upper management that the documentation produced by the
tech writers is far superior to that produced by the application
developers. We are looking for a tool that is quick and easy to use and
that will present the type of data (e.g., spelling errors per page,
run-on sentences per page) that is understandable to non-tech writers.
(We would prefer to enlighten management on the best methods for
measuring both productivity and quality, but right now we have an urgent
quick-and-dirty task. Thus far, management has measured productivity
only and has favored the pages-per-hour measurement.) Does anybody have
any suggestions for specific tools or resources to find out about such
tools?

Thanks!

Sue

Susan Peradze