RE: Massively Automated Intranet

Subject: RE: Massively Automated Intranet
From: "Egelstaff, Julian" <Julian -dot- Egelstaff -at- Cognos -dot- COM>
To: "'techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:32:34 -0500

There's a company called Ramius that offers a "roll your own intranet"
service, if you can call it that, called Vicinities. www.vicinities.com

It's basically a point and click collaboration tool that lets you set up
your own "vicinity" in which you can then post messages, have others
respond, post graphics, track news items, etc, etc. No programming
knowledge required, you just tick off the types of collaboration tools you
want to use on the administration page.

The service is free, but they offer more advanced services for a fee. You
can make your vicinity public or you can restrict access to only people you
authorize. I don't know how good their security is, perhaps if you want
rock solid security you have to pay.

I am not affiliated with these guys at all, I just happen to have looked at
their site recently for a project of my own. I wanted more of a web page
development solution, rather than just collaboration, so I'm not a user, but
it
might suit the automated intranet situation you're dealing with.

--Julian
(Speaking for myself, NOT Cognos)