RE: Documentation on the web

Subject: RE: Documentation on the web
From: "DANIEL D HALL" <misterhall -at- prodigy -dot- net>
To: "List Techwhr" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:47:29 -0800

Julie:

There are several ways to address this problem.

Information about the Microsoft Word Viewer (Wordvu) can be found at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/downloads/DP1701.ASP .The
self-extracting file itself is located at
http://support.microsoft.com/download/support/mslfiles/WORDVU.EXE . However,
providing your original Word files may be problematic if you have any users
who are using Macs, as the viewer is not available (AFAIK) for Mac OS.

PDFs are probably a better solution. They are cross-platform compatible, and
most browsers come with support built-in. This lets most users view them
without having to download the Word Viewer. Another advantage: all
formatting is preserved, no matter what browser, screen resolution, or
color-depth the user has. This can be an advantage if the appearance is
important to you.

If you're set on using HTML, I suggest purchasing a copy of Dreamweaver from
Macromedia. The program is one of the few HTML generators that preserves
your coding if you make changes with a text editor. It also includes a nifty
feature that strips out all the extraneous junk Word generates when it
creates a web page - which is what you're looking for.

HTH

Dan Hall
danhall -at- consultant -dot- com

Julie Johnston wrote :

"We would like to include our paper docs on the web ... created thru Word 97
or Word 2000 ... using FrontPage2000...".

She asked, "Are there any special applications you use, is there a
work-around for the way Word generates extra HTML tags, etc."