Documentation on the Web

Subject: Documentation on the Web
From: "Julie Johnston" <Johnst -at- memo -dot- acehardware -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>, "'COPYEDITING-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- INDIANA -dot- EDU'" <COPYEDITING-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- INDIANA -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:14:42 -0600

I work in a department that creates paper documentation, online
documentation, and web pages for retailers & corporate employees. We would
like to include our paper docs on the web. All the paper docs have been
created thru Word 97 or Word 2000, and I'm using FrontPage2000 to create our
web pages. I've been having problems converting the paper docs to web
format thru FrontPage, since the docs were created in a unique template that
uses styles. My biggest problem is with the additional HTML tags that are
created due to the Word template & styles.

I know one way around my problems would be to convert the docs to PDF
format, and then include a link to the PDF file on our web. I can't
guarantee that all our users have Word on their PC. One of the sites I was
looking at had a Word Viewer that could be downloaded from Microsoft to view
Word files, if the reader didn't have Word on their PC. I tried to look for
this on Microsoft's website, but I wasn't able to locate anything. I'm
interested to learn what other companies are doing to include documentation
on the web. Are there any special applications you use, is there a
work-around for the way Word generates extra HTML tags, etc. Let me know
when you have some time. Thanks.