RE: Usability Testing and Documentation

Subject: RE: Usability Testing and Documentation
From: Caroline Briggs <carolinp -at- Exchange -dot- Microsoft -dot- com>
To: "'Cindy Hudson'" <chudson -at- ECS-INC -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:46:30 -0800

The easiest way to get preliminary data is to identify a dozen or so tasks
of varying levels of complexity, then ask a user group to accomplish the
tasks using only the docs and the UI. Ask for volunteers from other parts of
the company, bribe them with lunch or something, and see what happens. I can
guarantee that you'll get interesting results. You will have to do a little
extrapolating to figure out whether users are failing because of the model,
or the terminology, or whatever.