RE: What sayest me... on Worthless TC Degrees

Subject: RE: What sayest me... on Worthless TC Degrees
From: Caroline Briggs <carolinp -at- Exchange -dot- Microsoft -dot- com>
To: "'Kari G Andres'" <kandres -at- UDel -dot- Edu>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:30:51 -0800

This whole thread makes me crabby, because I'm getting the distinct
impression that some of my worthy colleagues see this as an either/or
question. For crying out loud, our job is TO GET THE INFORMATION TO THE
USER. SOME USERS GO RIGHT TO THE INDEX. SOME USERS GO RIGHT TO FULL TEXT
SEARCH. SOME ACCESS INFORMATION THROUGH THE UI THEN USE THE TOC TO GET SOME
CONTEXT. SOME GO RIGHT TO THE TOC.

Until you are sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that you know exactly which of
these ways a user will access your docs, your job is to make damn sure that
you've built in enough redundancy so that they'll never get lost. Being smug
about your usability test results probably indicates a lack of care in the
actual users who will use your actual docs in the actual field.

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Mastering FrameMaker 5 -- reprints now shipping:
http://www.FrameUsers.com/masteringframemaker.shtml

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: carolinp -at- EXCHANGE -dot- MICROSOFT -dot- COM