RE: FWD: Team Leading

Subject: RE: FWD: Team Leading
From: Kathleen Kuvinka <kkuvinka -at- epicor -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:18:40 -0800

> The situation of working with or supervising another person who was
> also in contention for you management position is difficult.

I assume that managing people in general is difficult, because many managers
(although extremely capable in other professional aspects, including project
management) appear less than inspirational.

I am not, of course, suggesting that this describes anyone involved in this
discussion.

> I took the position, the 'other' person was a constant source of
> conflict, almost from the beginning.
>
> In retrospect, it would have been better to have found her another
> suitable position in the company, not under my supervision.

You think someone should have to change positions because they don't want to
be a manager? It is a difficult decision, and people are not always sure
they know how they will feel and act when they make it.

To the original poster, if your colleague has a professional attitude, she
will come around in time. If you feel awkward, why don't you talk to her
about it? Sounds like this is a little new to both of you. Since she is
probably the next senior writer to you, let her have input on how she wants
to work for a while. But don't pretend that you have equal positions with
different titles.