RE: portfolio again - clarification

Subject: RE: portfolio again - clarification
From: Kay Robart <kay -dot- robart -at- integratedconcepts -dot- com>
To: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:07:20 -0600

Wow! I didn't realize plagiarism was so rampant in this profession!
I've had only two experiences:

My last company hired some contractors under supervision outside the tech
pubs department to produce a bunch of training guides. After months
of paying six writers, they turned the project over to the regular writers,
having achieved almost no results. One of our writers entirely rewrote one
piece,
and later one of the contractors contacted our department to ask if she
could have a copy of that manual for her portfolio. The reason she didn't
have one is that IT DIDN'T EXIST before she left. Of course we wouldn't
give her one.

The other time our department took over a horrendously bad web project
that another department had contracted out. Later, when I was trying to
hire a writer, I got a resume from a rep for one of the writers on that
contract, claiming
that she had "documented the release," as if she had written all the
documentation
for it instead of one set of bad web pages that summarized the release
notes. The
release itself was a huge one that had taken 12 writers six months to do.
I called up her recruiting company and told them about it. I didn't hold
them
responsible, because they can't always know if someone is misrepresenting
themselves.

Kay Robart