Re: Copyleft

Subject: Re: Copyleft
From: "Sandy Harris" <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:06:33 -0500

Doug Isenberg wrote:

> On a related matter, for those interested in the "open source" movement,
> you may want to read (as I am now!) a book on the history and culture of
> free licensing: "The Cathedral and the Bazaar: Musings on Linux and Open
> Source by an Accidental Revolutionary," by Eric S. Raymond.

There's also a collection of essays called "Open Sources" with papers
by Eric, Bob Young (founder of Red Hat), and others. I found that
quite interesting.

Other interesting things on the web include:

http://www.opensource.org/ Open Source Initiative

http://www.opensource.org/halloween/
leaked Microsoft documents on competing against Open Source
annotations and refutation by Eric Raymond

http://www.oswg.org/oswg-nightly/oswg/en_US.ISO_8859-1/articles/OSWG-Catalog/oswg-catalog/philosophy.html
Open Source Writers Group site has some essays by Alan Cox, one
of the key Linux kernel developers

http://www.fsf.org Free software Foundation

> If anyone already has read the book, I'd be interested in your comments.

I didn't buy it because there's only one chapter I hadn't already read,
on the web or as a magazine article.