Re: re-working your writing for portfolio

Subject: Re: re-working your writing for portfolio
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:06:22 -0800 (PST)

It also depends on how you present it.

Sometimes, part of the reason for a document is to
convince or persuade...maybe a proposal. Don't rework
a document, present what is in effect a new document
that didn't fulfill its destiny, then tell the
interviewer that "this document was responsible for
xxx..." It wasn't.

However, it might be effective if, combined with "my
boss wanted it that way...", you show the version that
you know was wrong but wanted by the boss, and the way
you would have presented it if you had your way.

Several birds are killed:

1) You showed that you can create a document different
than YOUR style (shows flexability.)
2) You show that you can listen to your boss.
(shows...well, that you listen to your boss!)
3) That when left upto your own devices, can create a
better document than what those less-informed (your
boss) may require.

--- Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com> wrote:
> If it's your work, I fail to see anything unethical
> about it. Your portfolio
> should demonstrate what you can do NOW, not what you
> did THEN. A portfolio
> doesn't even have to contain "real" documents. We

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

http://im.yahoo.com