Education for tech writers

Subject: Education for tech writers
From: Karen Field <kfield -at- STELLCOM -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:07:05 -0800

Greetings, fellow techwhirlers.

I've been working as a tech writer/editor for nearly four years now, and my
career seems to be going well. In fact, it's going so well that I've been
slow to finish my TW certificate at the local university. Now I'm reluctant
to finish it because I've found my experience to be infinitely more valuable
than what I'm learning in class. At this stage in life and career (I'm 32),
how I spend my free time is monumentally important to me. In other words,
I'm not interested in "paying dues" in a class unless it is directly
applicable to my goals and/or offers info I don't yet know.

Anyway, I've researched online learning and correspondence programs that
seem to offer more immediately relevent courses. My question is this: If I
pursue a certificate or some time of education from an alternate type of
institution (such as online learning), will that look "hokey" on my resume,
vs. such credentials from a "real" university? Keep in mind that my LT goals
involve self-employment.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Karen
kfield -at- stellcom -dot- com

From: kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com

[snip]

All this has me thinking that ours is a profession requiring
mentoring--people
up the ladder of experience reaching back to assist new professionals in
finding
and climbing the same ladder of professionalism.

Yet, ours is also a profession that is production-driven. Deadlines and
time-to-market are king. How can mentoring possibly fit into this
professional
environment? How can it NOT?

[snip]

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Your web site in 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think.
Contact ForeignExchange for the FREE paper, "3 steps to successful
translation management" (http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw).

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: kfield -at- STELLCOM -dot- com