RE: Flesch Reading Ease scale

Subject: RE: Flesch Reading Ease scale
From: "Locke, David" <dlocke -at- bindview -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:20:45 -0600

Grammar checkers provide a wealth of statistical scoring systems. Flesch was
one of the first. It does have a weakness in that it will score "Basic
English," a former movement, correctly. But, if you start using normal
grammar, your scores will no longer coorelate.

I used to base decisions about editorial need on something called the
strength score. It correlated well with my writing style.

The best tool for this kind of analysis was Corporate Voice. It analyzed
your sample documents. Then, it could tell you how your current document
deviated from the statistical envelope derived from the sample documents.
The analysis could reach down to individual sentences. It's packed away
somewhere. And, the company may not be in existence anymore.

Grammar checkers and analysis tools can be used as long as you understand
the formulas, and the assumptions underlying the formulas. There are
weaknesses in any approach that reduces a whole into things less than a
whole.

David W. Locke