Re: Standards for graphic symbols, etc.

Subject: Re: Standards for graphic symbols, etc.
From: "Dan Roberts" <droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Moser, Suzanne" <suzanne -dot- moser -at- lsil -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:29:44 -0500

Oh dear, I think I'm in AndrewPlato mode today <g--actually, as I turn more
curmudgeonly, I tend to agree with him more and more--anyway...>

What are other products and other vendors doing, considering your platform
of choice? What are other products in your company doing? What are your
direct competitors doing? Imho, I'd do something that looks real darn close
to what they're doing, if I didn't do the same thing they do. In other
words, make audience analysis and familiarity with other products work for
you.

As for my own personal preferences, I hate those cute little "Dummies" kinda
icons; I can never remember what they mean w/o a textual clue. Since I don't
have any major problems with words in my white space, I wouldn't mind the
following style:
text text text text and so forth and
so on...
Note text text text text and so forth and so
on...
Warning text text text text and so forth and so
on...
Don't Even Think About It text text text text and so forth and so
on...(hrm, is this alignment wavering, or is it just the
martinis kicking in?)
But that's just me, and opinions are like certain commonly-covered body
areas: everyone has one, and they all stink.