Re: Ideas in motion

Subject: Re: Ideas in motion
From: "Dan Roberts" <droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 07:06:33 -0500

I suspect that, as usual, both POV's are extreme and that the Truth lies
somewhere betwixt and between. Any effort to repair substandard
documentation must be viewed in terms of time, effort, and return.
Ultimately, this is not a now/never, either/or question, but one of degree.
In other words, how much Bang do you get for the Buck?

To use the example of adding 2 pts leading...IF it can be accomplished
quickly and easily, w/o impacting the schedule to any serious degree, and
can provide increased retrievability, go for it. If it will take days to
accomplish, the ROI might not be worth it.

But let's take a more substantive example: info mapping. If the existing
text is a blob of undifferentiated text, info mapping might provide greatly
improved retrievability, improved reader comprehension, and (possibly)
result in fewer calls to Customer Support. In which case, the question then
probably becomes one of whether there is room in the schedule to accomplish
info mapping (and the associated question of whether the extra time comes
from nudging out the schedule for the TW or from the TW burning some
midnight oil).

And if the TW will be with the project through a number of releases, the
issues become even more muddy. If release X can support only minor
improvement X, perhaps release Y will provide time to implement improvementt
Y, and release Z provides room to implement improvement Z.

OTOH, the rules for a contract TW might be completely different. Or might
not. Depends on the relationship between the contractor and the company.