RE: Workflow and management -- How is your department organized

Subject: RE: Workflow and management -- How is your department organized
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Smith, Martin" <smithmr -at- encorp -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:54:26 -0500

Martin

Some places the Documentation Department (Technical Writers) is a separate
entity under the (VP/Director) of Marketing or the (VP/Director) of
Engineering.

That is the position you should be in.

IMHO, You are (staff) support to the other Departments/Project leads.
However, your 'boss' is the Department head.

The chart I have here shows the ideal position for you if you are "one"
person,
or a group of people (no more than 4 total) Over four, should be a separate
"cost center"

Department Head

|--------(Documentation)

| | | |
Project Project Project Project
Lead Lead Lead Lead

HTH
Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email
are mine and mine alone.  They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or
opinions of any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I
might belong to."