RE: Writing it down vs. good ol' learning (Was: Worthless Tech Co mm D egrees)

Subject: RE: Writing it down vs. good ol' learning (Was: Worthless Tech Co mm D egrees)
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:58:14 -0500

John Posada commented:
>User: John...how do I copy an email address from the
>body of an email and paste it into the To: line
>without retyping it?"
<snip>
>It always amazes me that the person will concentrate
>so heavily on writing down what is done step by step,
>vs watching, asking questions, and getting to KNOW how
>to do it.
<snip>
>How do people learn this way? What happens if they
>need to copy the material at home and their notes are
>at work? Doesn't anyone just learn things anymore?
<snip>

My $0.02:
Who says these people are in the mode to learn anything? If I am asked a
question like that I assume the person has a task to do and a deadline to
meet (even if the deadline is just getting to go home at a reasonable hour).
Monkey see, monkey do, (with notes on disposable scraps of paper) is the
fastest way to get it done. They are not "asking to learn" they are "asking
to do". (If the problem arises repeatedly, then the user will decide they
need to learn.)

Jim Shaeffer
jims -at- spsi -dot- com