RE: Suggested Tech Comm Curriculum

Subject: RE: Suggested Tech Comm Curriculum
From: "Humbird, LenX" <lenx -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:47:52 -0800

I've been techwr-ling since the mid-80's. Though I've had little formal tech
writing education, if I were to do this over again, or if I were in a
position to recommend someone for hire, I would choose the route from the
Plato Institute of Advanced Tech Writer Studies - over the school of hard
knocks - over the traditional university TWR track.

If I may make some suggestions for improvement, they would be:

--Part 7: Business Aspects of Tech Writing--
This section builds on Parts 1 thru 6, and focuses on real world challenges
for tech writers, from various points of view. (There may be some overlap
with other sections.)

Suggested classes:
- Project management techniques and tools - How to scope and estimate a
project
- Negotiating techniques - Learning when to say, "yes, sir", "Why don't we
be realistic about this?", and "I'll get back to you on that".
- Building alliances with other departments

--Part 8: Extra Credit--
- "This Old Manual" - When to repair tech writer trash; when to bulldoze
- Advanced Time Management - How to buffer your estimates so you can waste
time reading techwr-l topics.
- Understanding the Impossible - Why Marketing Department people think the
way they do.

Len