RE: Are we WRITERS????

Subject: RE: Are we WRITERS????
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:20:39 -0800

Sorry, but ain't necessarily so. (I just wish I had a *real* Websters for
reference.)

The 13th Edition of "Chicago" doesn't directly say, but in describing
plurals, it uses the sentence "Thus a book may have two indexes and a
mathematical expression two indices." (6.11, which also says that when
Webster gives 2 plurals for a word, the first is the generally accepted
one.)

The only "Websters" here in my office is the "Websters Encyclopedic
Dictionary of the English Language," published by Gramercy Press and based
on the Random House Dictionary of the English Language. The entry for index
here has "indexes" preceding "indices" for plural construction.

www.websters.com is a redirect to www.dictionary.com. The index entry there
lists the plural construction in the same order. This site claims to be
based on the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

Anyone know what the "real" Websters says?

--
Chuck Martin
Sr. Technical Writer, SERENA Software

"People who use business software might despise it, but they are getting
paid to tolerate it....Most people who are paid to use a tool feel
constrained not to complain about that tool, but it doesn't stop them from
feeling frustrated and unhappy about it."
- "The Inmates are Running the Asylum"
Alan Cooper

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.