RE: Are we WRITERS????

Subject: RE: Are we WRITERS????
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- systech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:16:37 -0800

sorry if this sounds nasty but it just hit a nerve....
we are writers (most of us)...
the plural of index is indices NOT indexes!!

Actually, according to my dictionary (Webster), the plural of index is
either indexes or indices. Actually, I usually wouldn't use indices as the
plural for index when it means the index of a book. "The book had two
indices." Sounds odd. I would be more inclined to use indices for such
sentences as "The GNP and the cost of living are indices of the health of
our economy."

Janet

Janet Valade
Technical Writer