RE: Booklets with Word97?

Subject: RE: Booklets with Word97?
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- systech -dot- com>
To: "'Perry Moore'" <perrya -at- jps -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:21:59 -0800

<<I need to create booklet, about 25 pages, 4 pages of type to one
sheet
> (front and back) or just two pages per sheet (one side only) can I use
> Word97 to do this, if so, how? if not, what program could I use to make a
> booklet?>>

It's not clear to me from your message whether you are needing to
create an actual booklet (sort of a semi-technical term) or just printing
your pages 2-up. A booklet is printed 2 sided and folded in half. So, your
page order for a four page booklet would be page 4 and page 1 on the front
side of a paper and page 2 and page 3 on the back side of the paper. Then,
when folded, the pages would be in the proper order. If you are just
concerned about printing 2-up, you will have to put it in 2 columns. If you
are concerned about making a booklet, with the proper page order, then Word
doesn't do it in any obvious way. I print our manuals this way and here are
the options that I know about.

1. WOPR. A set of macros for Word that will create a booklet. See
http://www.wopr.com. I think these cost about $40.

2. Clickbook. A software package that creates a printer driver that
transforms your file into a booklet on its way to the printer. It does
nothing to the actual file. Many people use this without problems. I had
lots of problems with it, but was always able to make it work in the end.
http://www.bluesquirrel.com. About $50 I think.

3. Quite Imposing. Software that reformats a PDF file. It makes a
PDF file into a booklet that you can then print. I use this now. It works
well for me because I need to create PDF files for all my manuals anyway. I
think this was about $300. http://www.quite.com/imposing/index.htm

Janet

Janet Valade
Technical Writer