Re: In Search of a Class

Subject: Re: In Search of a Class
From: Harry Hager <hhager -at- dttus -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, chudson -at- ECS-INC -dot- com
Date: 27 Mar 2000 14:51:15 -0600

Cindy,

I don't know of any course that does this but that is not the focus of
my reply.

Your boss might be looking for something like the following additional
information in user manuals:
- Examples or exercises that build upon each other and that form
common thread throughout the user manual.
- Rationale as to why and when a user might want to do this task.
- Rationale for entering the available values in the various data
entry fields. An explanation of what happens when the user enters
value A into a field as opposed to what happens when the user enters
value B and the significance of the distinction.
- Scenarios for the various tasks (These can be the exercises but not
necessarily built one upon another as with the exercises.)
- The relative importance of the various tasks, fields, and so forth.

In otherwords, maybe he want the whys and the wherefores included and
not just the "Just the facts, Ma'am" information but he can't quite
come up with the words to say exactly what it is that he wants.

H. Jim Hager
hhager -at- dttus -dot- com

Subject: In Search of a Class
Author: chudson -at- ECS-INC -dot- com at Internet-USA
Date: 3/27/00 12:04 PM

My new boss, the Director of Development, wants us to add more content to
user manuals. In-house we'll be taking classes and spending more time
working with both programmers and trainers to accomplish that goal. In
addition, he's assigned several of us to locate and attend a seminar on
"effectively capturing software application functionality content. This
class should focus on how to best extract meaningful information from the
source and translate that information into a content rich documentation
suite that is very useful to the users." (His words here, not mine.)

I'm looking for ideas. Can anyone help?

Cindy Hudson
Enterprise Computer Systems, Inc.