Vertically centering text in tables

Subject: Vertically centering text in tables
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>
To: TechWr-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:50:21 +0300

I don't think that vertical centering is evil. I believe
it was not uncommon until word processors came along and
made it hard to do. Maybe your boss is an old-timer like
me and that's why it isn't obvious to him that new material
in the left column serves the purpose of marking the start
of each row.

What else is separating the rows of the table? If the
left-hand cell is much shorter vertically than the right-hand
cell, then indeed some people-- like your boss-- may wonder
which row the extra right-hand material belongs to unless
the rows are clearly separated by a rule, or at least by a
whole obvious lot more space than ever occurs within a row.

But on the one hand if the rows aren't clearly separated,
vertical centering won't solve the problem; and on the
other hand, if the rows are clearly separated then there's
no problem to solve.

Mark L. Levinson - markl -at- gilian -dot- com - Herzlia, Israel