re: Vertically centering text in tables

Subject: re: Vertically centering text in tables
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:27:22 -0700

re: (My boss) wants to center text vertically, particularly in tables where
one column has more text than others (and cells with less text have lots of
empty, white space).

Centering text vertically is the default usage in html, but in, for example
WORD, you have to go out of your way to accomplish this. I've always
considered this a "bug" in html and I usually cringe when I see vertically
centered table cells because this almost always looks awful. And,
vertically centering mostly only works if the table cells are bordered,
especially if cells in one column contain "paragraphs" separated by vertical
space. Borders of course just add more clutter to the document--kind of
like punctuation in bulleted lists. The "Law of Minimum Ink" (Sonia Bayne).

Your boss is micromanaging--almost always a mistake. Does "his" document
have any content?

.. or just style?