Re: In Search of a Class

Subject: Re: In Search of a Class
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 05:05:07 -0800

Some good reasons for looking at source code:

1.) Depending on the work habit of the coders, the comments may
contain a detailed history of the program or some examples. You
may learn more about your work, and about your company (and some
of the comments are funny, too).

2.) At some companies (or if you're the first writer brought in)
source code is the only place where you can find a complete list
of options and switches. Even the original coders may not have
another reference.

3.) You gain a better understanding of the coders. Source code is
their environment.

4.) If you work with open source software (as I do), then your
company is obliged to provide the source code. Contrary to one
comment made on this subject, I can assure everyone that open
source users are VERY interested in the source code, which means
that the writers should be interested, too.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
3015 Aries Place, Burnaby, BC V37 7E8, Canada

"Truth-loving Persians do not dwell upon,
The trivial skirmish fought near Marathon . . . "
- Robert Graves, "The Persian Version"