RE: Placement of tables/figures

Subject: RE: Placement of tables/figures
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Carrie Miller" <CMiller -at- mrisystem -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:11:18 -0500

Carrie

I had the same problem when I did a document for National Cash Register back
in 1983.

What I did was have text in one part of the document. I created an appendix
that had all of the 'artwork' (tables and figures)... This was because so
many of the tables had to be referenced "at the same time"

The document was in a three-ring binder.

When a "user" wanted to read a section of the "text", he/she took the
appendix
from the back of the binder and put it in front of himself/herself.

Each figure/table was captioned.
____________________
| \ |
| / |
| \ |
| Appndx / Appndx |
| \ |
| Fig. 1 / Fig. 2 |
| \ |
| / |
| \ |
| / |
---------------------

____________________
| \ |
| / |
| \ |
| Text / Text |
| \ |
| See / See |
| Fig. 1 \ Fig. 2 |
| / |
| \ |
| / |
---------------------

This document was used by the software developers, 800-xxx-xxxx support
group,
field service organization, quality assurance team, and a host of others.
They said that for the purpose the document was being used for,
the format and structure "more than met their needs"

I also had list of tables, figures, glossary, and index.

I have been involved in S/W documentation of one form or another since 1970.

Just one person's approach to the 'glorious' world of software
documentation.

I know what you are going through.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email
are mine and mine alone.  They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or
opinions of any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I
might belong to."