Re: Average Length of TW Resume

Subject: Re: Average Length of TW Resume
From: Harry Hager <hhager -at- dttus -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, pbw3172 -at- yahoo -dot- com
Date: 29 Mar 2000 15:41:57 -0600

Paula,

My resume is also three pages, mainly because I've been doing tech
writing since the mid-70s, and I had some relevant in-depth computer
jobs prior to that time. Most of this time I worked for a single
company but I had some different jobs in that company.

As far as I can remember, I've never had anybody at an interview
complain about my lengthy resume. Of course I can't speak for the
interviews I didn't get because somebody might have thought it was too
long and I must not be a good writer if it takes me three pages to say
it.

My resume is about as trim as it can be. If I need to haul it out,
I'll probably find a way to trim a few things but it'll still be three
pages.

H. Jim Hager
hhager -at- dttus -dot- com

Subject: Average Length of TW Resume
Author: pbw3172 -at- yahoo -dot- com at Internet-USA
Date: 3/29/00 1:48 PM

It seems that several listers are contractors or have years of experience
in the technical writing field. Because of my contracting history, I have
a long resume. It is almost a full three pages. I do not want to remove
anything on it because I feel that it contains pertinent information
regarding application/software, documentation, and creative knowledge.

Is a three page resume too long under today's standards for a technical
writer with about five years of experience?

Paula
pbw3172 -at- yahoo -dot- com

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Mastering FrameMaker 5 -- reprints now shipping:
http://www.FrameUsers.com/masteringframemaker.shtml

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: hhager -at- dttus -dot- com