Sites like Guru.com

Subject: Sites like Guru.com
From: Tina Cipolla <tcipolla -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:40:54 -0700

Justin:
Check out workaholics4hire.com. It is loaded with information and
piles of real telecommuting jobs. The site does insist that you sign up
and get a password before you can access the jobs database, but they
list a ton of techwriting telecommuting jobs, so it is worth it.
I too was psyched about Guru when I found it. I thought, "finally!
a source of direct contracts in which no agency is involved." But alas,
my experience has been so far that I have gotten essentially no
substantive leads out of it. I am sticking with it, however, because it
seems to me that once companies realise that they can have access to
good people without having to pay recruiting agencies they'll be
interested, and certainly as a contractor it can only benefit me not to
have to shell out these ridiculous markups that these shops take. (I've
seen them take as much as 60% of a contractor's pay--and for what?? Ten
percent seems reasonable to me, but once they go above 20% I'm
completely annoyed.)
Let us know on the list if you have any luck with Guru.

Tina Cipolla
Crisis Solutions Ltd.