Re: Headhunters

Subject: Re: Headhunters
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 07:27:58 -0400

At 05:24 PM 4/2/00 -0700, Marc A. Santacroce wrote:

Maybe not, but I bet the agency is charging your client your $40 plus 20%.

You've missed the point. I don't know nor do I care if they charge the client my $40 plus 100%. It's none of my business what markup they have negotiated with the client.

If a client chooses to hire through an agency rather than hire directly, they KNOW they are paying a markup on top of the hourly rate. They KNOW they could pay less per hour if they hired directly. They are paying for the convenience, to reduce their legal liability, and for all those other reasons that have already been posted to the list.

A LONG time ago, I used to work as an engineer for an engineering/procurement/construction (EPC) firm. They charged their clients a markup on their engineers' rates. So back then, when I was earning $25/hour, my company was charging $50/hour for the use of my services. Same deal: their clients could have hired the engineers themselves to do these projects. They didn't -- they hired an EPC firm.

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net