Re: Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: Re: Advice for Job Seekers
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: jarnopol -at- interaccess -dot- com
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 07:14:07 -0400

At 07:30 PM 4/4/00 -0500, jarnopol -at- interaccess -dot- com wrote:

At 01:31 PM 4/4/00 -0700, Perry_Moore -at- themoneystore -dot- com wrote:
I agree, satan is a woman. I just left a TW job because of one. I am sure she
bad mouths me when a potential employer calls her. The other TW also left.

I'd be really surprised if she did. In the US, a former employer must be extremely careful about what they say about a former employee. However, if this person is being contacted by potential employers, all she need say is "Yes, this person worked here" and make no further comment. That alone tells an prospective employer that they were not happy with your performance.

It doesn't tell a prospective employer anything of the kind.

Many companies in the US (and here in Canada too) do not allow any more response than that. You could have been the most valuable employee they have ever had; the response will still be "she worked here from June, 1988 through September, 1992".

It's a legal thing.

If you really suspect this former manager is giving you a bad rap to prospectives, check it out. You may have grounds for legal action.

And this is exactly the reason why. No employer can afford to give a former (or current!) employee grounds to fight for a raise or promotion that didn't come when expected, for example.

So they say nothing, or next to nothing.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net