Re: Lamination: friend or foe?

Subject: Re: Lamination: friend or foe?
From: ekandl -at- unitechsys -dot- com (Erick Kandl)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 11:28:57 -0500

<snip>
"...All else being equal, I've always felt that the cover of
a manual should accommodate handwriting and rubberstamping,
in case it's the policy of a company or the desire of an
individual to display ownership. (How else do I know if
that's my copy of the manual on your desk?) I stated my
preference for a light color, and our graphic designer left
at least some of the cover at least somewhat light, but then
the damn thing got laminated. Mm, stays nice and clean.
Clean shmeen, I say. What if someone wants to write his
name on it? As a technical writer I believe that
aesthetics should always accommodate themselves to usability,
but this is where I turn to you folks: Does it happen much
that people, or companies, like to be able to sign or stamp
the cover of a manual?"

***
If the issue is producing a cover that remains unique, try
printing the title in "non-photo blue" so that it doesn't copy
or in multiple colors. You could also consider buying and
printing the cover on "security paper". This paper is
typically used by paycheck companies and universities (for
transcripts). The paper is colored, but if you photo-copy it
the word "VOID" or "COPY" appears multiple times.

Erick Kandl
ekandl -at- unitechsys -dot- com