Re: Lamination: friend or foe?

Subject: Re: Lamination: friend or foe?
From: "Carolyn Davidson" <Carolyn -dot- Davidson -at- agricorp -dot- com>
To: <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 12:06:44 -0400

Mark,

We attach a "peel-and-stick" business card holder to the front cover of each of our policy and procedure manuals so that employees can temporarily identify a binder as "theirs" without permanently defacing it. When they leave the company, the manual can be given to a new employee simply by changing the business card.

Hope this helps,
Carolyn

Carolyn Davidson
Technical Writer
AGRICORP
(519) 826-4121
carolyn -dot- davidson -at- agricorp -dot- com

>>> "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com> 04/04/00 10:19AM >>>
I know I should ask our user base, but we're a start-up and
don't have much of one yet.

All else being equal, I've always felt that the cover of
a manual should accommodate handwriting and rubberstamping,
in case it's the policy of a company or the desire of an
individual to display ownership. (How else do I know if
that's my copy of the manual on your desk?) I stated my
preference for a light color, and our graphic designer left
at least some of the cover at least somewhat light, but then
the damn thing got laminated. Mm, stays nice and clean.
Clean shmeen, I say. What if someone wants to write his
name on it? As a technical writer I believe that
aesthetics should always accommodate themselves to usability,
but this is where I turn to you folks: Does it happen much
that people, or companies, like to be able to sign or stamp
the cover of a manual?

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Your web site in 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think.
Contact ForeignExchange for the FREE paper, "3 steps to successful
translation management" (http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw).

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: carolyn -dot- davidson -at- agricorp -dot- com