Re: FWD: Good Company Fit

Subject: Re: FWD: Good Company Fit
From: "George Hinman" <techwriter -at- my-deja -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:13:40 -0800

--

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:31:17 anonfwd wrote:
I have since discovered that there isn't enough work to
>keep me busy. In addition, my role here is nothing like what I was led to
>believe it would be - I was hired as a writer, but that role has dwindled
>to little more than proofreader.
>
>I appreciate your ideas!

Welcome to the club! I have been working as a techwriter doing software documentation now for over five years. It is true that there is often not a "lot of writing to do", but that doesn't mean you can't find ways to productively use your time. There are constantly new tools and versions of software to learn and practice with. In software documentation, there are always updates and new releases to study and learn. I also have made it my job to become the house expert on tools like MS Word, and have conducted training sessions for the software engineers. I helped develop and implement the company intranet and internet websites.
In short, if you are not "given" enough to do, you can seize the initiative and give yourself tasks. This does not go unnoticed at management levels either.
I'm not trying to preach, but rather explain my solution to "slow periods" with few actual writing tasks.

Techwriter -at- my-deja -dot- com