RE: Knock it off

Subject: RE: Knock it off
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- intl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:05:05 -0600

Matt (Donkeyxote -at- aol -dot- com) goes tilting at windmills:

> I politely disagree with the assertion that this list is not a proper
> forum for noting mistakes in grammar, spelling, and usage. We are, after
> all, writers, and mistakes made in postings here may very reflects we make
> in our professional documentation.

Ahem... all irony aside, the list rules clearly state that we're not to
point out errors in grammar. (She's a fine lady, after all, though she may
be hard o' hearin' at times.)

A standard rule of e-mail list netiquette dictates that picking at people's
grammar or pointing out typos is improper. If we're discussing a grammatical
issue, that's another issue, but otherwise it detracts from communication.
Imagine if we were speaking face to face, and I began pointing out every hem
and haw you made. Hammering people for typos in an informal e-mail forum is
essentially the same.

In addition to this, the list becomes even more hostile. A-and believe me,
we have a reputation for it already. If we really want this to be a safe
forum, then engaging in virtual editing should be one of the first practices
to go.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
INT'L.com Design & Development
billdb -at- intl -dot- com
"Being disintegrated makes me very angry."