RE: Swaggin' for Dollars

Subject: RE: Swaggin' for Dollars
From: "web Master" <webmaster -at- iexplain -dot- com>
To: "Tom Murrell" <tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 21:33:54 -0700

Lately I've been tossing around in my mind the question: where does the line
exist between healthy self-confidence and not so subconscious hubris. Both
are attitudes that readers will detect in very quickly.

I share Mr. Murrel's view on how we ought to treat the audience.

On the other hand, I agree with Mr. Plato about there being a whole bunch of
"complex crap" out there waiting to be absorbed, understood, explained, and
made more useful by people like Plato and like other members of this
techwriter-types understand.

Who else but a techwriter has the guts to wade nonchalantly into the midst
of an engineering department and start asking usability-related questions
like:

How come this error message appears here and why is it worded like that? or

What is this interface supposed to do, what problem does it solve? or

How come the wing maintenance access panel is over here and the aileron trim
tab screw jack is way down there? or

Can I please see the RFP for this contract, I'm just wondering why I have
been told I have three days to "create" the Pilot's Operating Manuals for
the new Avionics package that took your guys what, three and a half years to
build?

Who else but a techwriter, I ask you.

Reworded by me so that the tinge of cynicism is more aptly (imo) directed,
Mr. Plato's sentence would read:

"This is the best time ever to be a tech writer, because there is
still an abundance of new, linearly-engineered, moronic technocrap out there
that our complex human users will need to understand to live, work,
communicate, remain sociable, etc. in this new millennium".

Looking forward,

Rob