Re: Of Mice and Morons

Subject: Re: Of Mice and Morons
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 16:48:47 -0500

As I watch this amusing thread wind its way around and through our
collective consciousness, I'm struck by an odd thought. (The pain is gone,
but the lump will be there for a few days, yet.)

Anyway, the thought that entered my head ("Treat it gently, it's in a
strange place," I hear you say) is that the two polar opposites on this
thread break down nicely into the two mindsets which our profession tries
to bridge.

Mindset #1: People-oriented. This mindset loves being with and interacting
with people, and sees the TW career as a way to be of service to that
community. This kind of person sees the TW as an emissary sent forth to
make discoveries and report back to the group, enlarging the awareness of
the community.

Mindset #2: Tech-oriented. This mindset loves technology and interacting
with it, and sees the TW career as a way to spread the knowledge of these
wonderful machines. This kind of person sees the TW as an ambassador from
the land of Technology, sent forth to educate the masses in the wonders of
Technology.

Both points of view have been grossly simplified for space, of course (I
figure some sociologist could milk the topic for at least one thesis) but
both points have some validity.

Mindset #1 belongs to the people, the audience we address and translates,
if your will, from a foreign tongue into a native one; mindset #2 belongs
to the engineering community whose works we interpret, and translates from
a native tongue into a foreign one. Since both mindsets natively speak
different languages, the odds are great that neither one will completely
understand the other, and will think the other a completely
incomprehensible beast.

Ah, well. It's Friday. I go home now to nurse my head.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224