RE: Importance of Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Importance of Technical Writing
From: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:33:14 +1000

> Sona Meta asks --

> > > Hello friends,
> > > Please do forgive me if I am starting a discussion on the often beaten
> > > topic, but I cannot resist myself. I need your help. I want
> to know how
> > > do I try and explain the importance of the work I do to a group of
> > > non-receptive developers who think of TWs as 'glorified
> typists'. I have

Sona,

Unfortunately you haven't said what it is you do. What is it that you
contribute, exactly? If you can tell us -- a friendly, enlightened,
compassionate, harmonious group of fellow scriveners -- then you might find
it easier to tell your developers.

If what you do is develop user assistance materials for commercial products,
and you work with developers who don't understand the importance of those
materials, then there's probably little point in worrying about what they
think or don't think. The people who sell the products, however, will be very
aware of the importance of professionally-produced user assistance materials,
and if my understanding of basic business economics is still valid, the
developers won't be there long if no one can sell the products.

Aside from that, I couldn't agree more with Meg Halter's comments.