RE: Importance of Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Importance of Technical Writing
From: melonie -dot- mcmichael -at- amd -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:27:24 -0500

Howdy, Yall:

Like a few others have said, it doesn't do much good to
tell them--show them.

Here is a real life example. I was hired into a small software
company to do all of their documentation. The man who
hired me understood the importance of documentation; the
man I ended up working for didn't. He considered me pure
fluff. I would beg to get a copy of the software on my
machine assuring him I could actually write the docs--he
just ignored me.

After sitting there for MONTHS watching him assign writing
tasks to overworked developers while I twiddled my thumbs,
I went and got a copy of the spec and started writing the
manuals from that. When I presented him with the first
draft, he was in absolute awe. Shortly thereafter, I was
given the software and all the support I needed to get the
job done.

When I left the company, he took my hand and thanked me
for my professionalism and a job well done. Not only did I
change his mind about me, I changed his mind about tech
writers.

Actions will ALWAYS speak louder than words, though they
do tend to talk more slowly.

smiles, Melonie

Melonie (Lonie) McMichael
Tech Doc Coordinator
AMD-CPD
mailto:melonie -dot- mcmichael -at- amd -dot- com