RE: Appendixes?

Subject: RE: Appendixes?
From: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 14:34:30 +1000

Odile I. Relk wrote
> Today I have a question, so I decided to break my vow of silence. In the
> material I am editing I ran across the plural "appendixes," which I have
> never heard before.

Hi Odille,

I'll read between the lines and assume that you're really asking about
"appendixes/appendices" rather than "indexes/indices".

Many people think "appendixes" is just fine. It is informal and therefore
suitable outside of academic or legalistic contexts. Take your pick -- but
don't call one or the other "wrong", because then you'll be wrong.

But if you want some advice from a crusty old technical editor, "Appendix" is
a bloody useless title for something anyway. Just because it's the name for a
part of a book doesn't mean you have to use it. Give your
appendixes/appendices descriptive titles that tell your reader what's in
them. Okay? Thanks.

I liked your little jest about "weekends -- if you have them." It's Sunday
afternoon here, and I'm meeting a deadline (when I'm not perusing the

Good luck getting into Tech Comms. If you ask nicely, maybe someone here will
tell you the secret handshake.

Mike West
Melbourne